Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Tea Party

Shyane and Mackenzie
Our tea party setting
(with my grandmother's china and tablecloth)
Every year my granddaughter's Shyane and Mackenzie come over while Grandpa takes the boys (Jayden and Colby) camping for the father/son outing. This is our girl time. Because Shy was performing in a play on Friday night (May), she chose Drama as our tea party theme. So, Friday we went to the play, which was fabulous and afterward grabbed an ice cream cone at McD's, then came home to watch a girlie movie. Saturday morning I was up early to prepare a huge breakfast and set the table with ancestral pictures of the women in our family who've paved the way for them. We did a pajama party this year and sat around the table drinking raspberry tea and talking about my great grandmother's experience when women were allowed the vote. My grandfather actually hid the horses so she couldn't ride into town and cast her ballot...however, being the stubborn woman she was, Myrtle put on her walking shoes and walked to the polls. The girls thought this was so awesome. We then proceeded to write our own character outline - as if we were casting a play. I wanted them to envision what kind of a person they are or want to be. I think they learned something about themselves. It was a wonderful day.

No comments: